Saturday, April 11, 2009

HOT TAR


Ive always been pretty impressed by Alex and Chloe. Since their insemination in the early 00s, theyve spawned several trends, including laser cut plastic pendants and the oxidization of silver for that vintage look. Granted, those two concepts existed prior but Alex and Chloe really brought them to the mainstream (by way of Urban Outfitters). This season, Im really intrigued by what theyve done with the use of tar. Personally, it never even crossed my mind to want jewelry from the street, literally, but it certainly does look incredible in context. What I wonder is whether or not they can stand the heat. After all, tar does melt and for a Spring/Summer line, these may end up a bit messy. Regardless, my favorite four pieces have got to be the Rabbit Foot, the Tribal Cross, the Tribal Ring (somehow worn both ways pictured above, though it is incredibly unclear as to how that is possible), and the Black Conus Imperialis Shell. But where I am pleased, I am also dissatisfied - with pieces like the Black Cave Necklace and the Tribal Triangle, that just seem far less thoughtful. (Im not even going to comment on their clothing line further than saying that, despite interesting graphics, it is outrageous overpriced while much of the jewelry offer by Alex and Chloe is incredibly reasonable. But how much can tar really cost?)

Check out the Alex and Chloe Sale from April 10-30 and snag some pieces 20% off.

5 comments:

  1. I loved these pieces, and thought they looked like they were dipped in tar, but didn't realize they actually were (I thought it was rubber or some acrylic coat). It does make me wonder how much it will hold up with wear, although they still look really cool...

    xxx,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome blog. I want all the awesome jewelry of your blog! We will def. be checking out he alex and chloe sale. we have added your blogs to our list. smart move.

    love,
    the.ramonas

    www.littleramonas.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are stunning and so original! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came across your blog, purely by chance, and I'm already under the charm. I will have to go through your entire history of posts!
    Great aesthetics ... Kiss from London

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came across your blog, purely by chance, and I'm already under the charm. I will have to go through your entire history of posts!
    Great aesthetics ... Kiss from London

    ReplyDelete

Followers