Friday, July 24, 2009

EVIL GENIUS OF COLOR

Color is a personal issue, for I am simply terrible at utilizing it in my wardrobe. I hate just one bright color amongst all-black but I dont know how to mix colors without feeling crazy so I just stick to what I know and love - blacks and neutrals. But, however, that is not to say that I am absolutely ape-shit crazy for those that succeed where I do not. First and foremost, Christian Joy (obviously her muse, Karen O, as well as MIA and Bjork amongst those) because when it rains it pours and thank god for that. Described as "an American fashion designer best known for her stage costume designs for Yeah Yeah Yeahs lead singer Karen O. Using found articles and occasionally eschewing thread and print for glue and marker pens she has influenced contemporary fashion with punk and DIY stylings," I so admire having the mental capacity and creative vision to not only mastermind but make a reality the pieces that she does for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontlady - they are intricate and immense but also endlessly mind blowing to behold in the very best way possible. I even have one of her pieces in my closet but its a white distressed silk number that falls far from her costumes on the map of her work. Obviously, I think shes a great success and an evil genius for taunting me with her rainbow seizing talents, two of my favorites below:
Photobucket Photobucket
In these two numbers, in particular, there is just such an unusual and bizarre attention to detail and a real utilization of the female form as a space for artistic potential and while that may not be my personal aesthetic and functioning style, I am so glad it works for someone (namely Ms. O) and that there are brain waves making it happen in Ms. Joy!

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I have somewhat of a phobia of bright colors, at least when I wear them. But that multicolored dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know, what are these even made of?! I love the second one, and it looks like it's made of dry pasta!!! So sick!

    xxx,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. exactly! it looks like noodle art from when i was five but like...way more awesome and not glued to paper!

    ReplyDelete

Followers