Monday, September 7, 2009

SO HERES WHAT HAPPENED

I went away. First physically and then mentally but "away" nonetheless. My final full-time semester of college starts this week and though I havent saved some enormous workload for the last minute like so many of my friends, I do anticipate some stress and a rather heavy workload. This shouldnt be anything I cant take on but it does mean that, for the first time probably ever, I am interested in succeeding in my academic career and my grades will be my top priority. With that, I have a variety of updates in regards to this blog that I so carelessly neglected the past few weeks and, for that, Im sorry.

1. The Issue With Trousers:
At the end of July I began scouring the Internet and stores all over NYC for the perfect pair of trousers for Fall. I wanted to score not only the perfect fit (difficult for my curvy hips and tiny waist) but a great cut and color, something well made but not wildly expensive, etc. etc. I made several trips to Acne to try on a variety of what they offered and fell in love again and again with the Joni. Originally I wanted to gray pair but after seeing Oak's Fall Collection, I decided to wait it out so I could try on our much cheaper Pleated Sweats. In the end, I went with the light gray Oak pair and the black Jonis. Both are perfect and I cannot wait for it to get cooler in the city so I can wear them with my new jackets.

Acne Joni Trouser / Oak Pleated Sweat Trouser

2. Ive Made Some Purchases:
I also got a crochet Rachel Comey Crop Top as well as a vintage prison tee from Assembly and BDG Boyfriend Jeans and probably some other things that I havent updated about as well. Oh! I found this beautiful white cropped button up by Philip Lim about a month back (I couldnt find a photo online and forgot to alert the presses). Its been a successful late Summer of shopping for Fall - great pieces on Sale that work perfectly into my wardrobe. I cannot wait for it to be jacket weather, clearly, because I am more than ready.


Oak Black Layered Square Collar Overcoat / Kai-Aakmann Blazer / Acne Babe Dress / Herchovitch Long Sleeve

3. DIYing Nonstop
Im not sure why Ive never blogged about this but Ive been making jewelry for awhile now and selling it as New Product to Buffalo Exchange. Sarah Z. - the girl who buys my pieces for the shop - always told me that they sold very quickly but not until recently did I really understand how exciting that is! Ive now seen several shoppers at Oak wearing necklaces Ive made and when I sort of awkwardly tell them that theyve all gotten excited and then other shoppers have taken my email address and well, I guess Im sort of making necklaces for a decent sum now. The past weeks, in my absence, I have made around 40 pieces and in about an hour Im going to drop them off for sale but I took some low-fi photos of my favorites. I use only vintage beading - coral, seashell, hammered silver and gold, snake spine, moon rock, turquoise, brass, crystal, ebony and ivory (no joke) - mixed with seed beading, leather work, oxidized and silver plated chain. There are also some one-of-a-kind shredded lace neckpieces floating around out there that I may try to replicate eventually but, this coming week, there will be dozens of the below pieces available in the East Village.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


4. Virgin Free Fest
Completely non fashion related but worth sharing anyway: while I was in Baltimore visiting my parents and making necklaces and going to frat parties (Seriously. I went to one. I played beer pong. Yikes.) I also went to the Virgin Mobile Free Fest with several of old friends who I actually adore and miss having in my life. We saw Wale (terrible, just kept cursing at the crowd rather than performing in any way), Taking Back Sunday (incredible, always a shameless favorite), The Hold Steady (terrible), The National (boring), Public Enemy (awesome, Flava Flav is way less retarded when hes being the best Hype Man alive - also he kept getting the name of the town we were in right rather than calling it D.C. or Baltimore like every other band so he got serious points with me for being on top of his knowledge), Weezer (good but boring), and Blink 182 (wildly entertaining) before randomly stumbling upon the Dance Tent where some insane woodsy rave was going on. Danced for a bit before heading back to my parents house - definitely one of the better visits.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

So, there you have it. I will do my best not to pull bad blogger behavior again.
X.

7 comments:

  1. WHOA! What an update lady. Cool to hear that you're selling your DIYs now! Will have to see them in person. Christina and I will def try to stop by OAK this week to visit. What days are you in??

    xxx
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ill be in Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, it seems.
    Would love to see you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no worries, i too disappeared from blogging for a while..and it felt good.

    amazing purchases for fall especially the trousers and the oak jacket. i'm extremely jealous!

    congrats on the popularity of your necklaces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so you bought those grey pleated sweat pants? the thing that was actually holding me back was the fact that I have big hips and a small waist too. but if it fits on you, maybe I should? awww.. i'm torned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only do they fit pretty well but even though they were a bit snug and legging-like at first, after one wear they stretched to the perfect size. I like them - the black are good, too - same fit, more slimming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love those pleated pants too- might have to try them on. you're from baltimore? i am too! was just down there this weekend... ended up at some out-of-my-element spots too but no beer pong (almost) lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am soooo psyched you've been making, and selling!!, your jewelry. it is such a freaking amazing form of therapy as well. i swear it's kinda changed my life. . . wish i could run around nyc with you for fashion week. . . maybe next year! xx molly

    ReplyDelete

Followers