Tuesday, April 27, 2010

LIGHT BOXES

Originally, when I began blogging, I lived at Disposable City but what was rather personal - though oftentimes vague - was frequently attacked by the many people who neither know me not like me. On that front, I reviewed several books under the very harsh criticism with which I read and those entries, of course, were also attacked with mostly comments against my appearance - how what I look like and how I feel about a book are related, Ill never know but regardless, that was a common reaction from those so enamored with hating me that they just had to read my blog.

Anyhow, on that blog I also confessed my own adoration for Ellen Frances, a fellow NYC resident and blogger, but also a pretty incredible genius. Well, just now I got a message from her about the book trailer she just created for Shane Jones' new book Light Boxes and I mostly didnt even have to debate whether or not Id post it but upon watching, there were even more reasons "Why not?!" For instance, its pretty. Also, Ellens precious baby Oona guest stars. Also, it is sort of spooky. Granted, I have no idea what the book is about or even if I like it, I do like this trailer enough to post it.

Of the book, itself, however, Ellen writes:
When I first read an excerpt of Light Boxes online I felt like I was witnessing the birth of one of the greatest works of art of our time. This was when it had first come out on Publishing Genius. I blogged about it here and was sent a copy of the book with a note inside thanking me for the blog post. The novel exceeded my expectations. The entire book was a work of art. The layout of the text was considered in a way that made the book itself feel alive. The story was written from abstract perspectives, descriptions were poetic and the imagery breathtaking and vivid. It was not too surprising that the book was picked up by Penguin and the film rights sold to Spike Jonze. Having an original copy of the indie release, I can proudly say I knew this little book when...

I never knew much of Shane Jones. I knew he had a blog (I found one of my videos on it in 2008) and his name was thrown around amidst all of the Brooklyn writerly types. Even with his name amidst this 'hipster'-esque group of same sames - I was pleased to find he did not fall into their line of piggy backing. Instead in emails he seems kind and sincere and his writing is actually beautiful, revolutionary and yes, I will say it... pure genius.

When Shane wrote to ask me if I would like to make something for the book release, obviously I said yes. It was a great escape for me this week to work on a short book trailer for the novel's release through Penguin (May 25, 2010). The novel sets the imagination on fire and the only downside of doing anything for this book is not having enough time or resources to work on it for the rest of my life! This sounds dramatic but I kind of do mean it...
Also, perhaps a book review with a brief synopsis might peak any interest:
A small town is besieged by “February.” The winter month, yes, but also a powerful, godlike being of the same name who won’t allow the sun to return. Something else is going on: Ever since February came, flight has been banned, and children have gone missing.

At the center is a balloonist named Thaddeus, whose daughter has disappeared and whose wife drowned herself in the marsh. The fever-dream fable winding its way through Jones’s debut novel takes many detours, but the town’s fruitless, ambitious battle against winter propels it. They attempt to wipe out the snow by pouring troughs of hot water downhill, but February counters with a prodigious moss crop that covers houses and chokes animals. When a horde of children living in underground tunnels presents a war plan, February’s wife tricks Thaddeus into believing it’s spring.

We expect a vibrant imagination in our authors, but charm is an underrated quality, and Jones has both in spades. Light Boxes twists through a waking nightmare, where violence slashes through characters but vines and flowers emerge in blood’s stead. The macabre feels more mischievous than menacing, which allows Jones to occasionally overindulge his precious side, though never enough to make us wince. Tempted though we were to read the endless winter as strict metaphor, Jones is a little too freewheeling to let anything stick. Instead, we end up with a sweet, surreal battle in the snow.
- Time Out Chicago
And with that...the trailer (be Ellen Frances) to Light Boxes (by Shane Jones):

Light Boxes Book Trailer from Ellen Frances on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. i so much like your friend's clogs!!!!!!

    xoxo!!!!

    cool post!..:))

    xx

    www.thebeautifulandthehard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers